St. Louis Teen Talent Competition
PRE-REGISTER FOR THE
2021 ST. LOUIS TEEN TALENT COMPETITION
Be the first to know when official registration for the 2021 St. Louis Teen Talent Competition opens in the Fall!
The Competition is open to students enrolled in grades 9, 10, 11 or 12 during the 2020-2021 academic year. High School students must attend or live in the St. Louis Metropolitan area (a 50-mile radius of the Gateway Arch in all directions).
Click the GOLD button below to join the mailing list. We hope to see you at the 2021 St. Louis Teen Talent Competition!
Guidelines for the Competition
In the spirit of fostering the emerging talent in the St. Louis performing arts community, the Fox Performing Arts Charitable Foundation is proud to underwrite and produce an adjudicated competition showcasing the talented teens of the St. Louis region. Students are competing for college scholarships, cash awards, prizes, and public appearance opportunities. Students may compete in a talent category of their choice. Examples of talent categories include, but are not limited to:
- Specialty Act, etc.
There are no fees to participate.
Registration for the 11th year of the St. Louis Teen Talent Competition opens September 1 and closes Dec. 31, 2020. Due to the Coronavirus, the Preliminary Round will be conducted exclusively by video submission. Once registered, you will be given instructions on how to submit your videos.
- Open to High School students in the St. Louis Metropolitan area.* Students must be enrolled in grades 9, 10, 11, or 12 during the 2020-2021 academic year to participate.
- Students may only enter ONCE, either as a solo act or as part of a group.
- Entries may consist of one (1) to six (6) students working together as a group in a cohesive presentation. Students in one group need not attend the same school.
- Students may compete in a talent category of their choice. Examples of talent categories include, but are not limited to Singer, Actor, Musician, Dancer, Band, Comedian, Magician, Circus Arts, Specialty Act, etc.
- Each act must perform a minimum of two (2) minutes and must not exceed four (4) minutes.
- Acts may change their material between the Preliminary Round and Semi-final Round of the Competition based on the judges’ feedback.
- Acts cannot change the type of act after the Preliminary Round – acceptable adjustments based on judges’ feedback are, better audio, different costume, and tweak choreography.
- Acts must perform the same material at the Semi-final Round and Finals.
- Acts may not add or substitute a new student for another after the Preliminary Round of competition. All contestants must be completely registered prior to performing in the Preliminary round.
- Acts should select material that is “family-friendly” and age-appropriate. Content should not contain foul language or violent subject matter. Acts which violate this rule can be disqualified.
- Students must participate in 3 progressive rounds of competition Preliminary, Semi-final, and Final Competitions as well as a mandatory Finalist meeting and rehearsal dates for the onstage Finals. Both students and parents will be asked to sign an agreement confirming their acceptance of the schedule once it is set.
- Audio and digital enhancements are not allowed on for Preliminary Round video submissions.
- Act may only use one instrumental accompanist for their act. (See “Technical Information” for more information.)
* Metropolitan Area is limited to 50 miles from the Gateway Arch in all directions. To qualify for entry, a student’s High School (or home address if homeschooled) must fall within a 50-mile radius of the Arch.
Schedule & Dates
11th ANNUAL SLTTC SCHEDULE*
Mark your Calendars
October 1, 2020- Registration Opens for the 11th Annual SLTTC!
December 31, 2020- Registration Closes
January 15, 2021- Preliminary Round Video Submissions Are DUE
January 30 & 31, 2021- Preliminary Round Feedback from the Judges via ZOOM
Late February 2021- Semi-final Round
March 1, 2021 Finalist Production Meeting (required of all finalists)
March 2-13, 2021 One-on-One Rehearsal with Production Team (One 90-minute rehearsal will be scheduled during this week. )
March 14-28, 2020 Production Rehearsals (required of all finalists)
March 29-April 3, 2021 Tech & Dress Rehearsals at the Fabulous Fox (required of all finalists)
April 3, 2021- Finals at the Fabulous Fox Theatre!
*As we navigate through these uncertain times competition dates and locations are subject to change. We will remain flexible and give advance notice when schedules, rehearsal locations, and competition information is updated.
The Producers will provide the following equipment and personnel for rounds of the competition that are produced on stage:
- PA System
- Microphones (up to 6)
- Mic Stands (up to 6)
- Stage monitor
- Chairs (up to 6)
- CD/Flashdrive Playback equipment (cell phones may not be used to play music)
- Sound Operator
- Piano Accompanist*
- Basic Stage Lighting
Any additional equipment must be provided by the students and at their own expense. Please contact the Foundation in advance to discuss technical needs at TeenTalentCompetition@foxpacf.org
*Acts must notify us in advance on their registration paperwork that they intend to use the piano accompanist that the FPACF provides. Acts using the accompanist will be asked to provide their sheet music in the correct key upon registering and in advance of the Preliminary Round.
College Scholarships & Cash Awards
2020 College Scholarships and Cash Awards:
1st Place $8,000 Scholarship
underwritten by Ameren Corporation Charitable Trust
2nd Place $6,000 Scholarship
underwritten by John Russell
3rd Place $4,000 Scholarship
underwritten by Sally Johnston
Southeast Missouri State University
All students who compete in the Preliminary Round will be considered for a renewable scholarship.
Audience Choice Award
underwritten Fred & Odile Tompkins
The “I” Award
underwritten by Terry & Sally Schnuck
Keep Art Happening Scholarship
underwritten by Arts & Education Council of St. Louis
The Terry Lynford Classical Music Scholarship
underwritten by Terry Lynford
The Voss Family Originality Award
underwritten by Tom & Carol Voss
The Kranzberg Vocal Performance Award
underwritten by Ken & Nancy Kranzberg
The Berges Classical Performance Award
underwritten by Jim and Cathy Berges
The Fromm Family Dance Performance Award
underwritten by Ron and Cheri Fromm
The Mighty Wurlitzer Award for Keyboard Talent
underwritten by the St. Louis Theatre Organ Society
Most Valueable Performer Award
Fox Performing Arts Charitable Foundation Board of Trustees
Scholarship opportunities will be posted as they are confirmed
Prizes & Performance Opportunities
2020 Prizes & Performance Opportunities
The Chamber Music Society of St. Louis Award
A student or act may be selected for the opportunity to participate in a
Chamber Music Society of St. Louis concert during their upcoming season.
The Saint Louis Recording Club Recording Session
A student will have the opportunity to take part in a professional recording session
with Grammy-nominated Producer, Carl Nappa.
Ashleyliane Dance Company Summer Class/Workshop Scholarship
Big Muddy Dance Company Summer Intensive Tuition
Capes Coaching “Artists in Action” digital career planning program
Circus Harmony Summer Camp Tuition
COCA Class Tuition
DaySpring Arts & Education Class Tuition
Gateway Center for Performing Arts Class Tuition
Magic Smoking Monkey Show Tickets
Professional Dance Center Class Tuition
St. Louis Shakespeare Show Tickets
STAGES Performing Arts Academy Class Tuition
St. Louis Ballet Summer Intensive Tuition
Public Performance Opportunities:
Taste of Maplewood- August 22nd
Festival of Lights at Kiener Plaza-TBD
Public performances opportunities will be listed as they become available
Thank you to all of the generous supporters of the
2020 St. Louis Teen Talent Competition
Ameren Corporation Charitable Trust
FoxPACF Board of Directors
David & Julie Capes
Ron & Cheri Fromm
Ken & Nancy Kranzberg
Terry & Sally Schnuck
Fred & Odile Tompkins
Tom & Carol Voss
2020 ST. LOUIS TEEN TALENT COMPETITION JUDGES!
Students will be reviewed by a panel of qualified judges at each round of the competition. Judges will select the best talent regardless of category (i.e. singer, actor, musician, dancer, band, comedian, magician, specialty act, etc.) The judging criteria at each level of competition will be: Students will be reviewed by a panel of qualified judges at each round of the competition. Judges will select the best talent regardless of category (i.e. singer, actor, musician, dancer, band, comedian, magician, specialty act, etc.) The judging criteria at each level of competition will be:
- Technical Ability
- Stage Presence: personality and confidence
Meet the Finalist Judges HERE!
Semi-finalist Round Judges
Tali Allen– Director of Education at The Muny
Marc Gordon-Executive & Artistic Director and a founding member of the Chamber Music Society of St. Louis.
Zoe VonderHarr– St. Louis Actress and Choreographer
Lee Nolting– Jazz and Musical Theatre Dance Coordinator at COCA (Center of Creative Arts)
Ed Coffield– Director, Faculty of the Conservatory of Theatre Arts at Webster University & Artistic Associate for The New Jewish Theatre
Preliminary Round Judges
Ashley Tate– Artistic Director of Ashleyliane Dance Company (ADC)
Darlean King– Vocalist with Unity Theatre Ensemble, The Legend Singers, The St. Louis Black Repertory Theatre
Dominic Dowdy-Widnsor– STAGES Performing Arts Academy Director of Education & Outreach Voice & Musical Theatre
Donna Northcott– Founder of St. Louis Shakespeare and Magic Smoking Monkey
Gary Bell– Artistic Director of Stray Dog Theatre
Kelly Ging– COCA Teaching Artist
Keith-Williams– Artistic Director of Innervision Dance Theatre
Maria Ellis-Collegiate Assistant Choral Director for the University Singers
Matthew Kerns– Executive Director of the St Lou Fringe Festival
Millie Garvey– Professional Director/Choreographer
Ron Gibbs– Development Officer for the Leigh Gerdine College of Fine Arts at Webster University
Tim Schall– Executive Director St. Louis Cabaret Project
Archive of Previous Competitions
Follow each link below to learn about the past 9 Years of St. Louis Teen Talent Competitions
SLTTC ALUMNI, we want to hear from YOU!
JOIN OUR EMAIL LIST
Be one of the first to learn about all upcoming FoxPACF events, Broadway Master Classes, special projects and performances, and scholarship opportunities by joining our mailing list.