2017 St. Louis Teen Talent Competition
In the spirit of fostering the emerging talent in the St. Louis performing arts community, the Fox Performing Arts Charitable Foundation is proud to underwrite and produce an adjudicated competition showcasing the splendidly talented teens of the St. Louis Metropolitan area. Students are competing for college scholarships, special awards, prizes and public appearance opportunities.
for the 2017 Competition
- Any High School student in the St. Louis Metro area* may enter
- Students may only enter ONCE - either as a solo act or as part of a group
- Entries may consist of one (1) to six (6) students working together on a cohesive presentation; students in one entry need not attend the same school
- Students must be enrolled in grades 9, 10, 11 or 12 during the 2016-17 academic year to participate
- Students may compete in (but are not limited to) the following performance categories: Singer, Actor, Musician, Dancer, Rapper, Comedian, Magician, Ventriloquist, Circus Skills performer (i.e. Juggler, Clown, Aerialist, etc.)
- Each act must perform a minimum of two (2) minutes and must not exceed four (4) minutes
- Acts must perform the same material at each round of competition
- Acts may not add or substitute a new student for another after the Preliminary round; all contestants must be completely registered prior to performing in the Preliminary round
- Acts should select material that is "family friendly" and age-appropriate; content should not contain foul language or violent subject matter
- Students must be available on the posted dates for Preliminary, Semi-final and Final Competitions as well as for the mandatory meeting and rehearsal dates for the Finals; students and parents will be asked to sign an agreement to that effect.
* Metro Area is limited to 50 miles from the Gateway Arch in all directions. To qualify for entry, a student's High School (or home address if homeschooled) must fall within a 50-mile radius of the Arch.
Students will be viewed by a panel of qualified judges at each round of competition. Judges will select the best talent regardless of category (i.e. dance, instrumental, vocal, drama, comedy and specialty act.) The judging criteria at each level of competition will be:
- Technical Ability
- Stage Presence: poise, personality
Learn about all of the 2017 St. Louis Teen Talent Competition Judges!
The Producers will provide the following equipment and personnel at all rounds of competition:
- PA System
- Microphones (up to 6)
- Mic Stands (up to 6)
- Stage monitor
- Chairs (up to 6)
- CD/Flashdrive Playback equipment (cell phones may not be used to play music)
- Sound Operator
- Piano Accompanist*
- General Lighting
Any additional equipment must be provided by the students and at their own expense. Please contact the Foundation in advance to discuss technical needs at TeenTalentCompetition@foxpacf.org
* Acts must notify us in advance on their registration paperwork that they intend to use the piano accompanist that the FPACF provides; Acts using the accompanist will be asked to provide their sheet music in the correct key in advance of the Preliminary Round
There are no fees to participate
Students compete to win college scholarships*, cash prizes and special awards.
1st Place $8,000 Scholarship
underwritten by Ameren Corporation Charitable Trust
2nd Place $6,000 Scholarship
underwritten by Mr. John Russell
3rd Place $4,000 Scholarship
underwritten by Ms. Sally Johnston
* Scholarship amounts for 1st, 2nd & 3rd place will be equally divided
between the members of the acts
All students who compete in the Preliminary Round will be eligible for consideration to receive a scholarship. For more details, click here
Southeast Missouri State University
All students who compete in the Preliminary Round will be considered for a renewable scholarship. For more details, click here
University of Missouri - St. Louis
The winner (or each member of the winning act) will be eligible for consideration to receive a scholarship. For more details, click here
Finalist who enrolls as an undergraduate in any area of study at Webster
University's home campus will be eligible to receive a $2,000 scholarship* For more details, click here
*student must meet Webster University grant/scholarship criteria and eligibility
Special Awards & Prizes check back often as we add to the list!
Audience Choice Award
underwritten by Mrs. Priscilla McDonnell
The Terry Lynford Classical Music Scholarship
underwritten by Terry Lynford
The Dance Performance Award
underwritten by Ron & Cheri Fromm
The Originality Award
underwritten by Tom & Carol Voss
The Classical Performance Award
underwritten by Jim & Cathy Berges
The Vocal Performance Award
underwritten by Ken & Nancy Kranzberg
The Musical Theatre Scholarship
underwritten by David & Judy Capes
ex'treme Institute by
A student will be selected for a free recording session. Provided by Vatterott College - ex'treme Institute by Nelly St. Louis. website
The Muny Award
Based upon The Muny's 2017 season and its artistic needs, a student or act may be selected to appear on or off stage.
The Chamber Music Society of St. Louis Award
A student or act may be selected for the opportunity to participate in a Chamber Music Society of St. Louis concert during their upcoming season. website
The STAGES St. Louis Award
A student or act may be selected for an opportunity to participate in a 2016 STAGES St. Louis production or class, either on or off stage depending on talent & skill set. website
Winter Opera Saint Louis Award
A student may be selected for an opportunity to participate in a Winter Opera Saint Louis production during the 2017/18 season.
COCA for class tuition website
Dancewear Solutions for merchandise website
Capes Coaching for "Artists in Action" digital career planning program website) website
STAGES Performing Arts Academy (for class tuition) website
The Muny (for tickets to a 2016 summer production) website
2016 St. Louis Teen Talent Competition
The NINE Network of Public Media will tape the Final Competition at the Fabulous Fox Theatre on April 8 and later air a one-hour broadcast of the show.
The First Place scholarship is underwritten by the Ameren Corporation Charitable Trust
|Missouri Baptist University will host the Semi-final Round of Competition.|
Logan University will host a Preliminary Round of Competition.
The high school campus will host a Preliminary Round of Competition.
Each student who participates in the Preliminary Round will be eligible for consideration to receive a scholarship ranging from $500 - $2,000 from Lindenwood University
Special Thanks to the Fabulous Fox Theatre:
Jack Feivou, John Wolf, Gayle Leonard and the entire staff
AND to Metrotix: Larry McDonnell and staff
Each student who participates in the Preliminary Round will be considered to receive a scholarship ranging from $500 - $2,000.
|Each student who makes it to the Final Round of Competition will be considered for a scholarship in the amount $2,000 to attend the St. Louis campus. || |
The Winner, or each member of the winning act, will be eligible for consideration of a $1,000 scholarship from the University of Missouri - St. Louis.
2016 Prize Donors & Performance Opportunity Sponsors